I just wanted to take a few minutes to make a post about what kind of exercise regime I have been doing lately. Over the past year, I have found finding time to exercise pretty difficult, something I think is probably pretty common for mum’s of babies and toddlers. Charlie’s desire to explore has helped get me active again and as well as going for walks every day, I have been trying to fit in a 30-40 minute workout every other day. I’ve never been big on gyms or group exercise, so this post is for mum’s (or dad’s I guess) who, like me, prefer to exercise from the comfort of their own living room.
My workout routine comprises of a series of exercise videos that I have found on Youtube. Youtube is an amazing source for learning all sorts of new skills, so it was my first place to look for fitness resources. My routine looks like this:
- Stretches routine (5 mins)
- Easy cardio warm up or quick cardio warm up (5 mins)
- Zumba Flat Abs for cardio (20 mins)
- (10-15 mins) Specific area workout (eg arms, thighs, butt etc) using a video from FitnesBlender. They have a great standing abs video which is SO PERFECT for new mums (and less new mums) because they are less likely to cause Diastastis Recti (abdominal seperation, a lot of the time occuring post partum)
- Light cardio and stretching cool down (5 mins)
- If I feel like it/have time, 10 minute post workout Yoga.
I like to follow my routine up with a big glass of water and a shower or relaxing herbal tea bath (green tea is amazing!) and then a snack (smoothie) I feel like I always have too much to do during the day so I usually do this once Charlie is in bed for the night (7pm) I find this works especially well for me as my husband doesn’t get home until 10pm four nights out of the week. But of course, you can do this any time of day!
I’m trying really hard to take steps towards living a healthier lifestyle for our family and our son. Charlie is an adventurous soul and I want to be able to keep up with him as he grows, and I also want to be a good role model when it comes to making healthy choices. The first step for me is finding time/making regular exercise a priority. He’s a bit little now but as Charlie gets older, I would like to start going on longer walks/hikes. Being in nature is a beautiful way to spend time together.
Anyway, I hope this is helpful to anyone wanting to start a fitness routine but not knowing where to begin. There are tons of health and fitness videos on Youtube so if the one’s I’ve chosen aren’t suitable for you, I would definitely recommend having a look for inspiration! :)